Re: Europa-List: Speed fairings - XS Mono

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Speed fairings - XS Mono
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:27:56

On the tri-gear 'lookalike' (i.e. proper taildragger) there is a 9 knt speed
improvement (126 knt to 135 knt) with leg fairings alone. But the leg is
rectangular in section and offers a "flat plate" of about a third of a
square foot, so a significant improvement would be inevitable.

A further 8 knt speed improvement (135 to 143 knt) occurs with mainwheel
fairings similar to the Europa product, but closer in appearance to those
shown at:
http://www.teamrocketaircraft.com/TeamRocketAircraftcgi/hazel.exe
(let me know if you want some; I have moulds).

Flap hinge fairings aren't fitted (I await to be convinced that they are
beneficial) and some intersection fairings in the acute angle between legs
and wheels may net a little more.

Still trying to get to 150 knts! Will an extra 10% hp from cold air get me
there?

Duncan  McF.