Re: Europa-List: Stab travel range

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stab travel range
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:36:17

Dan:

I had to do some extra work because of lack of travel.  For the bottom stop
I had to dispense with what was detailed in the manual. Circular dowel
covered  with rubber is what I believe  it was.  I made a new  stop out of
a bolt and covered with a Delrin tube that I turned down.  I  think it is
only about a half to a third diameter of what was originally called for.
for the top stop I selectively milled away the section of the tip of the
weight that contacted the roof first of the fuselage.

Steve H
A143
Mesa, AZ

stabs correctly aligned. My problem is that even before installing the
tower, with the weights contacting the pitch push rod, I only get 12.8 deg.
of trailing edge up pitch. When I trial fit the tower, I get 9.6 deg
trailing edge up and 6.5 deg trailing edge down. These measurements are
when using the incidence setting block. Should I use something else? I must
be doing something wrong in my measurements. Anyone who wants to throw in
on this is welcome.

> Thanks,
>
> Dan Bish
> A144
> Tucson, AZ

> Ferg wrote...
>
>  However, just before fitting on the fuselage top, I took a last-minute
>       test of stab travel and found that in intervening months the range
of travel
>       had reduced for some reason - and I got but 2.8deg nosedown and
11.6deg
>       Noseup travel! The trim travel works well, but the stab itself has
reduced .
>           As well, I found the counterweight travel did not allow full
noseup
>       travel, and I had not cut the trim slots long enough to permit full
travel.
>       I lengthened the slots 1/8inch and the slot problem receded.
>           It was obvious I had failed to centre the TP18A swivelling rear
end of
>       the counterweight arm to allow the arm to descend slightly into a
happier
>       area, so I removed the two AN-3 bolts at the back and swivelled the
TP18A