RE: Europa-List: Tail plane counterweight cables

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tail plane counterweight cables
From: Paul Mansfield <m@nsfield.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:00:08

This is supposed to be a simple & effective technique:

Undo the bolt, release the bottom arm of the TP18 and swing it up a few
(many?) degrees.

Fix the cables with "finger-tight" tension temporarily, using clamps, &
lower into position.

Test for tension & symmetry.

Raise again (to release tension in the part & the builder) and swage.

Lower & bolt.

Robert is your mother's brother.

I seem to remember it written up here or in Europa Flyer, but can't
recall/be bothered to check.

---From an original idea by Duncan McF or somebody of that ilk??

I haven't tried this myself yet (the very next job to do, so I'll let you
know ...)

HTH

Paul M

XS Mono, wings & TP done, CM in, TP torque tube in, TP18 next!

--> <mx@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>

> Hello.
> Has anyone used an alternative to the cables that
> have to be swaged on the tail plane counter balance?
> I am thinking that using turnbuckles to provide tension
> would make an easier installation.

Yes, a number of us have put turnbuckles in these cables.  Enables you to
centre the weight nicely and have some control over the wire tensions.  No
drawbacks except for the extra cost.

John Cliff