Europa-List: Rough running 912s-No More

Subject: Europa-List: Rough running 912s-No More
From: RICHARD IDDON <riddon@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 11:39:49

I am pleased to report that I have discovered the cause of the rough
running of my 912S (at least I think I have).

I tried balancing my carb's and discovered that they were OK at certain
rev's and wildly out at others. This, together with the article in the
recent Europa News, prompted me to check the throttle cables and lo and
behold, one was a bit 'sticky'. It was OK at fully closed and fully open
but there was a point in between, as I was opening the throttle, when
one cable hesitated for a moment which must have been putting the carb's
out of balance.

There was a slight kink in the inner cable by the throttle lever which
seemed to be causing it.  I have straightened this out and lubricated
the inner cable as much as I was able.  The engine now seems to run much
smoother at most rev's although I have not flight tested it yet. I think
I will probably have to eventually replace the cable to ensure that the
problem does not happen again.

Richard Iddon. G-RIXS