Re: Europa-List: Vented or Unvented Brake Reservoirs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vented or Unvented Brake Reservoirs
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:45:23

All

I too had trouble bleeding my new finger brakes. I did it a little
differently.

I fixed the reservoir on the firewall so it could be pressurized with a few
pounds of air from my pneumatic air compressor. With everything connected
and the wheel cylinders venting, I added 5 psi of air in to the reservoir
and "blew" the brake fluid through the system. It took several cycles of
doing this. I could not let the reservoir go empty.  When I was done and
fluid was coming out at the wheel, I did one cycle of regular bleeding and
closing the vent to get the wheel cylinder to there relaxed position.

This seems like a longwinded explanation, but it worked very easily. (One
man job.) A friend told me in his shop he used a vacuum line on the wheel
vent to "suck" the fluid through.

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
Tri-gear about to back to the Hanger with three wheels under it.