Re: Europa-List: ventilation-NACA

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ventilation-NACA
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:49:22

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard" <riddon@btinternet.com>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: ventilation

| Paul,
|
| I worked out the position from pictures and advice from the factory then
| cut the holes to suit the bit which ends up flush with the outer skin.
| Positioned them in the holes with runny flox and laid up two bid layers
| round the edges inside to fix them.
|
| I asked a similar question before doing this and had several members who
| advised me not to fit them but to look for alternative ventilation.  I
| did fit them but the threaded peg on which the 'nut' turns on both sides
| has broken and had to be fixed.  If doing it again I would probably look
| for something else.  I feel they are a poor design.
|
| Regards.
|
| Richard Iddon. G-RIXS (just completing 25 hours service).

Hey, team:
        I realise now that the discussion centres around the "NACA" ducts
sold by someone (ASpruce?mebbe) and used by many in the Europa. I humbly
suggest a look at those designed from the originals - which were used as
engine intakes for the F93 (hardnosed Sabre) version of the oldF86. these
were a good size naturally and worked a treat, so the rumour that they're no
good is strictly applicable to the commercialk  version, not the original.
        The ones I';ve seen violate the general rules for ratio of width to
length and cannot be as efficient as those drawn by Rutan and most
efficient. A copy of the design (and relative station dimensions is on tap
at John Cliff's site,
http://www.crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk/europa.htm , under I think
"miscellaneous" items.  You can design and build any size any shape within
the 'rules' that Rutan laid down in his training book.
        Don't GIVE UP THE SHIP!
Ferg