RE: Europa-List: Ventilation of shop area

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ventilation of shop area
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:25:42

Ventilation is important but not because of any noxious odors.  Aeropoxy and
Araldite do give off an odor but it is not so strong that it would be
noticed beyond arm's length from the source.  What is a very real concern is
how you (and others in the house) are affected by a possible allergic
reaction to the epoxy resin, both as a liquid prior to cure and as dust from
grinding and sanding after cure.  Some people are unaffected and others must
resort to rather extreme measures to avoid breaking out in a rash.  I have
developed an annoying, but not extreme, sensitivity that has progressively
worsened with exposure, but I can mitigate the problem by working only with
good ventilation and by breathing through an activated charcoal respirator.

It took me a while to recognize that it is not only contact with resin or
dust that causes a rash.  For me, breathing the vapor or dust is sufficient
to trigger a reaction.

Because you can not know in advance (unless you have already experienced an
allergic reaction to other epoxies) whether you will be sensitive to the
epoxy used in the kit you MUST assume that you are allergic and take the
necessary precautions to avoid direct skin contact with any of the epoxies
used in construction, and to use a respirator when working with uncured
epoxy or when sanding any epoxy surfaces.  It would be prudent to provide
sufficient ventilation in your basement shop and to isolate you shop (a
closed door should suffice) in order to keep the fumes and dust from
escaping into your living quarters.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Europa XS Tri-Gear A070