Re: Europa-List: Pilot operating handbook

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pilot operating handbook
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:16:15

> A POH must stay in the aircraft at all times and the one from Europa is a
> little on the large side and contains material that is not typically found
> in a POH.  I am looking for something a little "slimmer" to keep in the
> aircraft.
>
> Paul

In the U.S., no POH (formally Airplane Flight Manual) is required - under
91.9(b)(2),
for amateur-built aircraft, placards and markings can substitute for the
AFM.  Technically also, placards and markings need not be affixed (such as
airspeed
indicator markings) until established during the flight test period.
FAA's Flight Test Handbook, AC 90-89A, urges development of a "Flight Manual"
and checklists (or impliedly use Europa's), but the manual need not be aboard
the aircraft during flight, nor can this Handbook make one mandatory.  It would
be impractical in flight for a Breezy!

Regards,
Fred F.