Re: Europa-List: AFSAFE seat belts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: AFSAFE seat belts
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:02:56

Eric,
        Just a bit of warning.  Mounting the inertial reel to the back of
the seat is not the best place.  The area is TO LOW.  In a crash that
point will cause you to have compression fractures of the back. The
shoulder harness needs to go horizontal or upward from the top of your
shoulders. Check with any belt manufacturer.  I installed inertial reels
in mine but I made a bracket that I glassed to the top near the rear
bulkhead. Having spent time in the military, I learned a bunch about
aircraft safety and design.  My shoulder straps don't really get in the
way but they are "there".  I am very glad I installed them.  They are
very comfortable. I highly recommend them for safety and comfort.

Jim Nelson
N15JN