Re: Europa-List: Baggage By cover

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Baggage By cover
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:58:04

In a message dated 2/11/2004 7:40:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
astills785@earthlink.net writes:

> Did anyone else run into the problem of the opening in the baggage bay
> bulkhead being too large for the access panel? should have checked b-4 cutting

> out but too late now. If so did you repair it to the "high" side or "low" side

> of the opening. Looks like i'll have to place some bid in one spot or the
> other to repair.
>
> Hi Al,
>
> I measured the flange on the access panel and realized that if I cut along
> the cut lines on the molding it would probably be too much. So, I got an
> average measurement of what the flange was on the cover and using a compass
> scribed a new cut line on the bulkhead using the edge of the recess in the
> bulkhead

> as a guide. The original hole I cut actually wasn't big enough, so I had to
> sand to fit. I've found that using a compass works well when you want to mark

> a consistent distance from an edge for cutting, installing fasteners, etc. I

> set the pin side of the compass be about 1/4" longer than the pencil side,
> set the distance I want to mark from the edge using a ruler and slide the pin

> side along the edge as I mark the line.  Works great!

I wasn't overly impressed with the fit of the access panel in the baggage bay
bulkhead nor the symmetry of the lower access panel holes. I kind of wish the
factory would have let the edge of the access panel "run wild" (leaving it
larger than it needs to be) and I would have sanded it to a tight fit. As mine

is, the edge of the access panel is inconsistent with the recessed opening in
the bulkhead. The gap varies between the edge of the access panel and the
recess in the bulkhead. My access panel was trimmed too much at the factory,
especially across the top. It's not a structural issue, but I suspect it will
take

some bondo around the edges to make it look right. Probably not an issue for
those who are doing upholstery back there, but if you're painting the interior

like me variations in the gap between the cover and the bulkhead will make it
noticeable.

Much like your problem, it's an easy fix, but it's just one more thing in a
long list of things to do to get this bird in the air.