Re: Europa-List: Re: AoA and flaps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: AoA and flaps
From: Alex Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:33:52

>Extending your flaps with fixed leading edges increases lift coefficient
>but the angle of incidence becomes smaller, draw a line from l/e to t/e
>to see the chord at any given point and configuration and then hold it
>against the relative airflow to see incidence.
>Extending leading edge devices such as slats or l/e flaps increases the
>angle of incidence again given a steady pitch angle.

ahemm... I think I should try that again- I had a lot of kids running
around me when I wrote this, now Im just tired but it doesnt look
right....
Straight and level flight and constant speed assumed, flaps out on a
clean wing increases wing area/lift coefficient and INCREASES angle of
incidence, slats alone DECREASES it.....

Aircraft equipped with both and with slats unserviceable have a
stipulation in the POH not to extend flaps alone or to watch pitch angle
as a stall occurs at a very low pitch angle, possibly less than 0(?)
Slats out only means you have to point the nose at the sky before it
will stall.
Now its taken me about 8 returns to the computer trying to write this
so if anybody would like to tell me Im wrong again, please go ahead :-\

Alex