Re: Europa-List: Bing 64 Carb and Altitude Compensation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bing 64 Carb and Altitude Compensation
From: Carl & Dot <carlp@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:21:00

There is no altitude compensation with the standard Bing/ Rotax setup.

It is possible to lean the mixture by bleeding air into the balancing pipe
between the carbs but this is not an approved modification. You would do
this at your own risk and would certainly invalidate any guarantees
(including any airworthiness certificates).

The fact is that most installations do not fly high enough for this to be a
problem but if you fly in an area of high altitude you could compensate by
changing the needle settings and possibly the main jet but you would need to
take advice from Rotax on this.