Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: lightning strikes to composite

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: lightning strikes to composite
From: Martin Shaw <jm.shaw@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:00:12

Paul,

Points to remember about lightning strikes :-

1. Aircraft rubbing against the air generate an electric charge and this
will attract a bolt of lightning from an oppositely charged Cb. Expensive
aircraft have static discharge wicks to dissipate this charge

2. From personal experience I know that lightning can strike over 10 miles
laterally out of a Cb.

3. A metal aeroplane is bonded together and so the electricity has the full
run of the whole aeroplane. You will, of course remember from your school
days that like charges repel each other and so any electric charge, such as
a lightning strike will repel itself and stay in the outermost atoms of the
metal structure. You will therefore be safe unless wing-walking at the time.

4. A non conducting, plastic aeroplane struck by lightning will disintegrate
and the occupants will die.

See you in the bar on thundery days,
best wishes,
Martin Shaw.