Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: lightning strikes to composite

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: lightning strikes to composite
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:18:38

> I have always wondered whether anyone has ever made a test to see if a
> metallic
> primer or topcoat would lessen the impact of a lightning strike.

> Karl

There are specialty coatings which conduct electricity, but metallic paints as
we know them do not.  The coating would have to conduct as well as metal, as
even
small resistance translates to serious heat with up to 80,000 or so amps
applied.
To compute heat, the math requires we square the amps!

I believe what's needed is something with low enough resistance to provide a
preferential
lightning path to keep it away from controls systems and the fuel tank.
Happy shopping...checked only one product site, and their best is 15 milliohms
per square mil, which I think won't work at all.  And not surprisingly,
the stuff is very heavy anyway, so no scientific math nor price check
necesssary.

Regards,
Fred F.