Re: Europa-List: Fitting Stall Stips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting Stall Stips
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:16:36

>Does anyone that is flying have any views regarding the fitment of stall
strips.  We were initially advised that these were a bad idea and that an
electric stall warner was a better option.  From what I remember, stall
strips are supposed to have an adverse effect on the landing characteristics
of the aircraft.<

Whilst stall strips improve warning of an impending stall, if fitted in a
position where they do that job, they can also raise the stall speed (by
5kts in some cases) which
rather negates the benefit. Stall warners do not degrade the aerodynamics
and can easily be set to give a warning at any desired speed/AOA.

Nigel Charles