Europa-List: monowheel positon of stab and aileron

Subject: Europa-List: monowheel positon of stab and aileron
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:02:47

>Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel position of elevator and aileron?
>Sorry to bother you with this question, figured would get an easy answer
---From the >group.
> NOT!
> Curious
> When taxing a monowheel with a 20 knot quartering tailwind, lets say from
the left, do
>you keep the elevator full forward and the stick full deflected to the
right?
        There IS a difference between an elevator and a stabilator. The
first                 changes the shape of the control surface, such that a
down elevator curves     the elevator/stabilizer control making it more
sensitive to unwanted wind             vagueries. The stabilator does not
change shape so is not as sensitive (say     to tipping up the tail from a
tailwind). Judging the severity of the effect is a         Command decision
and comes mostly from experience

>Since the Europa has outriggers, for all I know dragging the downwind
outrigger does >more good in keeping things straight than trying to keep the
upwind wing down?
        Because of outriggers, the problem of preventing wing-up events
tends to     be less critical. Nevertheless it is good practice to select up
aileron into wind     o spoil any potential lifting tendency. All of this
of course depends on the         strength of the gust/wind. I would believe
any sidewind meeting a lifting             surface would tend to reduce
directional control, even slightly.

>As far as the elevator, for all i know perhaps the huge prop spinning puts
flow from >front to back instead of back to front?
        I dont believe (with a tailwind) you will want to add to its effect
by                 increasing speed/power with the prop. The only time to
blast with power is to     correct a sudden swing - and then only for an
instant. This is a neglected         practice, but a vital one in a Boeing
Stearman. Otherwise, throttle                     back.

>I honest don't know, but my guess is full forward and full to the right.
        I wont do that. You are reducing the one thing giving directional
control -     the tailwheel. Besides, I dont think theres a hard and fast
rule for any control     position. If you sense a threatening tailwind,
stick full back because the stab     will be stalled and you may be adding
weight to the tailwheel.
    Stick to the LEFT (port) if the wind is there. Stick into wind to dump
lift on         that side (reduce camber).

        Of course, these remarks are a personal attitude and open to any
correction - I may have misspoken.
         a personal experience. I shared a Stearman belonging to He in
the Back Seat, a naval cadet grown to senior years and open to gossip and
hearsay (much as do sailors referring to local knowledge as a valued
item). When I questioned him on a burp in the Continental on final to
Mitchell SD, he replied, the old guys tell me it clears its throat every
once in a while. When I insisted on asking the mechanic, he found one
magneto arm cracked and taking on moisture, and the other even worse! We
were there three days till the parts arrived - BUT we had overflown Lake
Ontario and northern NY (trees) enroute. No engine clears its throat.
Ferg
A064