Re: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Faulty Oil Temp sensor
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:37:10

> Are we talking about the same sensor. The one I am referring to is a small
> bolt shaped plug which screws into the oil pump housing. There is a copper
> terminal post on the top which is connected to the electrics via a spade
> connector (female) - the body itself grounds to earth.. It connects to the
> spade connector in a strange way which I have never really trusted (but on
> this occassion is not the cause of the problem).
> The only reason I ask is because I think it would be difficult to move the
> sender elsewhere, unless it could be tapped into the oil tank or oil
cooler
> somewhere. I cant visualise what you have done with your sensor.
> Have you a photo of what you have done.

Carl,
    Yes we are talking about the same thing.
    The sensor is unscrewed from the engine block and is mounted on the air
intake just below the engine using a P clip. It is then re-connected
hydraulically with the engine using a flexible coupling. I used a 0.305
metre length of Speedflex (SS braided Teflon hose) with 1/8" NPT terminals -
supplied by Earl's Performance Products UK Ltd. of Silverstone (Tel.
01327858221) for 17.80p complete (Delivery Note 03097974 dated 14/10/02). I
restrained the unit in the P clip with locking wire and connected a separate
earth lead.
    The Mod. Number is 10708, approval dated 29/11/02.
     I have only flown 73 hours since then so the remedy is not yet
conclusive, but having taken a failed unit apart and having examined the
failure I am confident that isolating the unit from the engine vibration
will certainly reduce the risk of failure - the cost and inconvenience of
which is tiresome.
    The next time I have the cowlings off I will take a photograph and send
you an e-mail direct.
        Roger. G-BXTD.