Europa-List: Twist in fuselage

Subject: Europa-List: Twist in fuselage
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:26:40

Tony writes:

Erich,
How bad is the effect you talk about, the twist due to the lower fuse being
distorted. I suppose a twist effect in the right direction could be the reason
so many first flights have "hands off" ability rather than a roll left
 due to
the asymmetric weight of the pilot. Maybe a twist in the right direction is a
good thing ;-)
on the basis that the a/c often is flown one up rather than two. ( a bit of an
assumption made there )
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia

Tony, I can not honestly recall the amount of twist as it has been too many
years
ago that I performed this task.  You may have a point though regarding the
twist being in the right direction.  I do know that if you perform the
installation
of the containment bulkhead with the top off using a technique developed
by Grahmam Singleton when the top finally does go on the containment bulkhead
is leaning so badly to one side that it must be redone to eliminate the
interference
with counterbalance weights.