Re: Europa-List: modification

Subject: Re: Europa-List: modification
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:44:54

Hi John,

Yes, the tunnel is structural, but many trigear builders modify the top part
considerably.

I installed a removable cover on top and a lexan window in the floor for
aerial
photography. The entire tunnel interior is then also usable for storing
things.
This also makes access easy to any wiring, fuel lines, rudder cables etc.
for maintenance
and future changes. The rudder cables run inside nylon tubes which are
p-clipped to the
tunnel sides.
To accomodate the throttle, hand operated brake levers, and one or two
instruments or
switches, I recessed the bottom middle of the instrument panel by quite a
large amount
(you need deep space only for radio/transponder, maybe not even that), then
installed
another fixed panel on the freed up tunnel top for the above. My throttle
control is
a conventional push/pull at the bottom of the instrument panel, and does not
intrude
into the tunnel at all.

I have seen other Europas where the tunnel top is used as an extension to
the instrument
panel.

It gives you some ideas.

Karl