Europa-List: Trailer

Subject: Europa-List: Trailer
From: Tom Paul <tom@tompaul.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:04:43

Well, after much time researching the aluminum trailer market, I have
concluded that there is indeed not easy way to have my monowheel live inside
an enclosed trailer and still be able to pull it with my Subaru.  The
choices seem to be either an open trailer, or a bigger car.
As I was about to stop trying though, I did find a guy who builds custom
trailers in southern california who was rather optimistic about my needs
being met.
He says he could probably build a single axle, all aluminum enclosed trailer
that would weigh around 1,500# for about $6k.  This money is justifiable if
I consider that I will use it to get my kit to ny from cali as well, thereby
saving what looks to be a $1,500 one-way truck rental expense, and then I
will have the added comfort of towing the completed plane around in a closed
box.

So, what I need from the forum is the recommended dimensions of the box.  I
need to send him the exact requirements so he can crunch the numbers and let
me know if it is actually possible.

I think a 20' length would work, based on the over length on the europa
website.  True?

What are your recommendations for width and height of the box interior?  I
imagine I will make wing and tailplane-hangars on the inside walls, need a
small tool storage area, and need enough space to get to the tie-downs and
such when the plane is inside.  It doesn't need to be comfortable, just
serviceable.  I will be trying to find the careful balance point between
space and weight.

Thanks for the forthcoming advice!

Tom Paul