Europa-List: Wing Root Fairings

Subject: Europa-List: Wing Root Fairings
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:30:04

Kevin,  We just finished this job.  We found we had to slit the fairings to get
them to fit at all closely.  Then we had to heat the curved portions to finalize
the fit to the fuselage.  We rigged the wings & measured from the outboard
edge of the fairing to the fuselage side (diagonal measurement) to see how much
"adjustment" was needed.  We did this at multiple locations - about every 3
inches in the worst areas.  We then derigged the wings and heated small areas
- about 6 inches with a heat gun on high and used a piece of 2x4 to push the
fairing a bit more than required since it will spring back.  Then measured and
did it again if necessary.  Took a couple of hours to do both wings but they
look good now.

By the way, if you have to slit the fairings, Nev suggests a single layer of bid
that overlaps the slits and onto the wing about an inch.  That worked well too.

Hope this helps.

Jim & Heather A185