Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 10/14/03

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 10/14/03
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:32:59

> From: "Ronald J. Parigoris" <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
> Subject: Europa-List: Peel Ply on Root Rib
>
> <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
>
> Into reinforcement of the root rib/spar.
>
> Manual tells you to "REMOVE PEEL PLY"
>
> To this point I have only seen Peel Ply in Bright Green and there was
> some White tapes. I also purchased some 1 and 2 inch white precut
> tapes.
>
> Well the Peel Ply on the Root Rib looks an awful lot like glass. It
> does have a few red threads in it.

...<Snip>...

> Has everyone removed the peel ply in all 3 areas on each root rib?
>
> Feeling foolish in Kings Park
> Ron Parigoris

Don't feel foolish all by yourself, I messed up a set of flaps by
missing the peel-ply.  All I had ever seen was the bright green stuff.
I spent much of a day trying to remove peel-ply from the flap root and
all I did was de-laminate a section of the flange glass so I gave up
and thought that the double sided tape was what they were referring to.
  I went on to complete the flap closeouts.  Later, while having
difficulty with the wing-root layups, I noticed the red thread and
found the transparent peel-ply that was the problem.  Upon this
realization, I went back and shredded a portion of a flap closeout and
located the peel ply there.  I ordered a new set of flaps and
associated hardware and had to do them  all over again.  I suggested to
Europa that they use the bright green peel ply or they modify their
intro class to at least show the white peel ply.  I guess they have not
taken either of my suggestions.

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL
3705 Lynchburg Dr.