Re: Europa-List: Wing tie downs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing tie downs
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:45:38

Hi Steve,

I used heavy duty aluminium eyebolts with 8mm threaded bolt from a Chandlers
shop , where
they sell all kinds of goodies for boating people.
I installed mine near the inspection hatches and one in the tail. But if I
had to do it again I would
get two outboard ribs from Europa to make a double last rib, then install a
U-shaped stainless
steel or alu bracket between the ribs, well secured with bid layups, and
attach it to that bracket
with just the 'eye' poking out the bottom. Don't attach them to the spars.
Should have been part of the kit, as the cost is peanuts, and is an
essential item.
I see other Europa owners tying down on the flap brackets, which is not a
good idea. The
forces of a strong sidewind are least at the wing tips. Don't forget PFA
approval.

Cheers,   Karl