Re: Europa-List: hanging fuselage from wood frame

Subject: Re: Europa-List: hanging fuselage from wood frame
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:42:30

----- Original Message -----
From: "RK Hallett III" <n100rh@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Europa-List: hanging fuselage from wood frame
| Simple question, what size of bolts/other did you all use to fix the
| fuse to the support frame.  I've been using straps up to this point, but
| want to firm things up before doing the wing to fuselage "thing".
| Did you just drill a hole and hang it or what?| Thanks in advance.| Ralph
MG in Reno, NV

| <META content"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" nameGENERATOR>
| <STYLE></STYLE>
|

| Simple question, what size of
| bolts/other did you
| all use to fix the fuse to the support frame. I've been using
| straps up to
| this point, but want to firm things up before doing the wing to fuselage
|
| "thing".
| Did you just drill a hole and hang it
| or
| what?
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Ralph
| MG in Reno,
| NV

Ralph,
            I built a frame from original drawing, but found dimensions
wrong because my Classic Fuze had an :XS" cockpit stuck in it - but presume
you are all 'aligned' as to model.
            According to previous archive and my experience the minimum bolt
size must be 3/8" or greater because the weight drags the holes and tears
develop in skin, particularly at back. Either plaster 1/4" or better plywood
or similar backing onto the interior wall or use increased size tubing to
support the raw holes to prevent ripping. Suggest check through archives if
not already done. I did three things - [1] epoxied support plates into
interior walls per above, [2]drilled corners to take heavy castors, and [3]
drilled and tapped for 1/2"x13tpi threaded rod plus hardware so I could
screw rod down to floor, lifting castors, and so firm up a horizontal frame
for rigging various parts which demand alignment (rear pitch axle, wing
mounts etc).
        Good luck
Ferg
Europa A064