Re: Europa-List: Lockable tailwheel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lockable tailwheel
From: nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:02:52

>Is there a builder to know a lockable tailwheel for my Europa ( 6" small
size) because I made several take off with high lateral right side wind
and it is impossible to maintain straight line.
I have experience of Cessna 185 and Pilatus PC6 with lockable tailwheel
and it is very easy to maintain the run way center line.<

Have you tried adding more tension to the tailwheel springs? Feedback from
experienced Europa pilots would indicate that sufficient directional control
will be achieved if enough spring tension is used. Originally the tailwheel
was directly connected to the rudder cables. I believe the reason the
springs were introduced was to reduce the difference between the amount
of
rudder needed with the tailwheel on or off the ground making it easier for
the inexperienced pilot to fly. With increased experience coping with higher
foot loads and smaller movements tail down and larger movements with lower
foot loads tail up should not be beyond most pilots. After all this is
almost the same as locking the tailwheel. I compressed my springs by 10mm
before the first flight. Although I have not built up to strong crosswinds
yet there still seems to be adequate directional authority with the tail
down. Remember that if the tailwheel is locked (or very large amounts of
spring tension are used) the limit is likely to be determined by rudder
authority as the tailwheel is allowed to lift during take-off.

Nigel Charles