Re: Europa-List: Fuel flow measurement for 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel flow measurement for 914
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:07:59

> I was talking with Erich Trombley at the Reno Air Races and he described his
> setup using just one flow sensor. The return line T's back in upstream of
> the sensor, I believe. You should ask him, he says his setup is working well
> with very good accuracy.

I would have thought that the return fuel pipe should go into the tank and
not immediately into the feed to the engine. One very good reason for the
return is to avoid vapour locking and you need "cool" (well Cooler) fuel
---From the tank to go into the engine area. If you promptly pump hot (warmer)
fuel from the engine area back there you will end up a very warm loop.

I mention this as in our hit British climate (well it has been this year) I
have been getting misfiring which I am almost certain is down to vapour
lock. Mine is 912S.

Of course if you use two sensors and in flow is measured to 1% and return
flow is measured to 1% the inaccuracy for A minus B will be considerably
more than 1%.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, EGSG (Stapleford)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)