Re: Europa-List: Europa aircraft number

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa aircraft number
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:47:01

>Does anyone have an idea of what number Europa the Europa factory is
>shipping these days? I notice that many of the members who list on
>this site use #??? for which Europa they have.

Rick - you'll no doubt also have noticed that the US office and the
parent company in England have separate numbering systems; the former
puts an "A" prefix on all its kit numbers. In addition there are
various factory demonstrator machines which do not have kit numbers
in either of those series - although some previous demonstrator
airframes have had kit (or "customer") numbers attached to them when
sold on to private owners.

I've been keeping tabs on all Europas everywhere as part of my Europa
Club membership secretary job, and I make some of the results of that
work available on the Club website, as others have already pointed
out.

 From time to time I get updated lists from both Kirkbymoorside and
Lakeland, but as you might imagine it's quite tedious cross-checking
all the entries.

A somewhat pernicious habit seems to have crept in recently - the
factory appear to have started allocating a new kit number when a
part-completed kit changes hands. This may be needed in order to
associate the new person with a new "customer number" but if true
that shows poor database design. The airframe identifier should not
be confused with the owner identifier! It also means that if you try
to deduce the number of kits sold from the current highest kit
number, you will get an artifically high number. (If anyone from the
factory wants to correct me on that, I have an example they can
explain!)

>Does anyone have a data base of completed and flying Europa's

See the Club website. Do you find the selection of info in the
"flying aircraft" and "under construction" tabulations useful? I try
to ensure that all that sort of info is included in my database, from
which those web pages are created. I have on occasion known about
first flights, etc long before the factory! Note that the former
table is actually of all Europas that are known to have flown; some
of them have since been written off. Likewise, the latter table is
not of all kits sold, only those which have acquired a national
registration mark.

More detail is available in the goodies CD which goes to all new
Europa Club members. Ask me off-list if you want to know more about
the Club.

Hope this helps.

regards

Rowland