Europa-List: monowheel dual sealed beam light

Subject: Europa-List: monowheel dual sealed beam light
From: Rick Heis <u1c04209@mail.wvnet.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:24:12

Good Morning,

I would like to comment on one area of the landing light conversation.

As an Air Traffic Controller and pilot since the 1970's I will tell you that a
landing/taxi light is extremely valuable (from my point of view) for identifying
aircraft approaching. Especially in less than 10 mile visibility, lights add
greatly to the safety of flight.

As to whether the wig-wag is any better than just a constant beam (again my
opinion)
I would say it is better BUT not as a significant a safety factor as having
lights and not having lights. (and that means in the 'on' position)

I highly recommend that any pilot approaching an airport (even if not landing
but
inside the airspace (say 10-15 miles) and within 5000 feet of the surface)
to turn on all lights and strobes for visual I.D. to ATC and other aircraft. On
another point, communication with ATC and intentions as well as communication
at non-controlled tower airports is just as important to air safety.

Now back to the other topic of whether.............

Rick Heis
Morgantown, WV, USA