Re: Europa-List: Confessions of a door latch hacker

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Confessions of a door latch hacker
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 10:26:36

Jos,
        If you or anyone out there in Europa land wants to minimize drag
and make the tail planes look better consider this.  The trim tabs can
have a hidden hinge pin that is accessed on the end of the tail plane.
The pin is secured with a screw in a blind nut.  I did my rudder that way
and there are NO screw heads on my rudder to be seen.  Since the trim
tabs are hinged on the top, it would look much nicer if the screw heads
weren't seen. Had I thought of it sooner, I would have done it that way.
        Also, for you flyers who don't disassemble your wings ect.
Remove the pins every month or so.  I didn't and I can not get one of my
pins in the starboard tail plane out.  Rust has locked it in position.  I
have just done my first annual inspection and found this!!  The pin is
not very corrosion resistant.  My port pin came out but needed lots of
twisting and pulling.  Keep the pins greased. I guess I will have to
drill a hole up from the bottom to push upward to get it to come out.
Yuck!!!

Jim Nelson
N15JN