Europa-List: Rivet Question

Subject: Europa-List: Rivet Question
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:47:00

Hello again to all,

I have been painstakingly pressing in the solid rivets (AN-470-AD4-10) into
many of the aileron control rods. I know the magic 150% number that the
finished "formed" head is supposed to be mashed to. But for the life of me the
best I
can get is .165" from a .125" (1/8")rivet. I even got a rivet squeezer from
ACS to make sure it came out right. But I still get average .155".

Now if I were simply riveting two pieces of flat metal together, I would know
there is a problem. But here, it's four surfaces being spanned by the rivet
(both sides of the tube and both sides of the rod end) with a hollow center.
I'm sure that the rivet is also mushrooming inside that center. But how can that

be prevented?

What have other people gotten when they have done this? Am I gonna be
drilling out lots of rivets in order to get these right? Damned this is fun!

Mike Duane A207
Redding, California
XS Trigear