Re: Europa-List: Winter ASI or Not?????

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Winter ASI or Not?????
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:06:28

Tony Hi!

> I would recommend the Dynon AI which has airspeed , altitude and AOA
> displayed as tapes. AOA is the right way to control airspeed. It tells you
> instantly if something has changed. Any ASI only tells you something
> changed 20 seconds ago.

I have fitted the Dynon EFIS although it hasn't flown yet.

It's a neat device at a good price, $2200 with Flush mounting Bracket and
internal Lithium Battery that lasts 2 hrs + and gives independence in event
of total electrical failure.

It provides:
AoA (extra $250)
Attitude Indicator
Compass/DI type display (can have remote Compass unit)
VSI
Voltmeter
G - Meter
Timer
Clock
Airspeed
Barometric Pressure is now in millibars and has single button selection when
Transition Altitude reached.
Furthermore it's a Grey code Encoder for Transponder
I've also downloaded 5 Checklists of my own selectable with a single key as
required.
ASI and Altimeter can be set with 'bugs' and Airspeed bands (Vne, Vso) etc
can be set with colour code.

It would be possible to use Dynon as primary VFR awareness device and move
conventional ASI, VSI and Altimeter to RH side or add supplementary Panel on
that side as standby instruments.

The cost and weight saving is worth consideration. It weighs 1.5lbs.

There are some great devices either available or imminent including a super
unit from Grand Rapids Avionics although a little more expensive.

Spoilt for choice mate!

Regards

Gerry

Gerry Holland