Europa-List: Trim Damper Friction

Subject: Europa-List: Trim Damper Friction
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:29:42

Gidday,
Yesterday I made up the Trim Damper Assembly and much to my surprise the
friction is amazingly high. I needed to use a fair bit of muscle to move
it, maybe 30-40 kg of pressure at a guess. I have heard it is to provide
about 4-6 kg of drag, but I haven't had this substantiated yet. The TS04A
bolt, the one with the smaller longer M5 X 50 going up its middle, has to
be cut to 28 mm from underneath the head. I didn't doubt this dimension,
silly me, and cut it, only to find that when I tighten the M10 Nylock
enough to engage the nylon, it is too tight. My first fix was to remove 2-3
mm of the thickness of the M10, as it is a very deep nut, but this wasn't
enough. I am now removing the paint on the friction surfaces that the
teflon washers slide on in the hope this will relieve some more drag.
Beyond that a mate removed some of the length of the spring, but I notice
each end of my spring is flattened, and I wouldn't know how to deform the
end of the spring to get it to be the same. Any fixes out there, or should
I get onto Europa and get another TS04A, and not cut it till I have the
Nylock on and determine my own length for the ideal friction?
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia