Re: Europa-List: aileron mass balance

Subject: Re: Europa-List: aileron mass balance
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:24:02

>Can anyone give a rough estimate of what proportion of the lead ends
>up being removed to balance the ailerons?

Paul - I drilled some holes in the face of the lead weights that
mates with the foam (reasoning that it was better to remove weight
---From nearer the hinge as that would make the whole assembly lighter
when balanced). I then re-shaped the upper face near the LE of the
lead, in line with recommendations from Neville. This gave me weights
in the 520g - 525g range. I know I weighed them before and after
drilling the holes, but I now can't find a reference to that in my
journal - sorry! Perhaps if you weigh yours as supplied that will
give an idea of the proportion to remove.

Before doing the BID layups on the sides of the balance horns, I
removed at least another 6g (swarf weighed) from each weight by
making a small flox corner around the lead weights as well as around
the foam part of the horn. This was a bit tedious, but not as
difficult as I feared - I used a stout but not very sharp knife to
carve it away carefully. The non-sharpness of the knife point helped
to ensure that I didn't damage the inside face of the UNI layup.

After all this, my finished aileron hangs nose-down quite similar to,
but perhaps not quite as much as, the one in the picture in the build
manual.

regards

Rowland