Re: Europa-List: ICOMA200 radio assessments

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ICOMA200 radio assessments
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:01:07

Right "O" Ferg
        Don't know what all the fuss is about.  I installed my Icom A200
new out of the box that I bought at Sun-N-Fun about three years ago + - .
 The unit has performed flawlessly.  I did install the Europa dipole in
the tail and used a professional SWR meter to tune it. Took a bit of
trimming and re-trimming to get it right.   But I got the desired
minimum.  I plotted it out and put it in my records.  So far I have not
found  any nulls in the direction that I travel. All directions seem
fine.  I know that proper instillation is always necessary when putting a
transmitter on line.  A "CB" radio it isn't. I also installed a fan
behind the panel to blow air around the rear of the transmitter and
transponder.  Actually blows between them from the side.   I got it at
Radio Shack. Paid about $6 for it.  Its a squirrel cage style fan and it
takes little room. For throes of you who ask why, temperatures behind the
panel can get hot.  Transmitters and such do not like elevated temps.
around them.  So I put a fan to blow on the hot ends of the units and put
a 2" x 4" vent on the top of the panel over the radio stack to let out
the hot air. The vent is a air conditioning vent from a car that had the
shape I wanted.  Looks good enough.

Jim Nelson
N15JN