Europa-List: ICOMA200 radio assessments

Subject: Europa-List: ICOMA200 radio assessments
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:22:04

"It's by the way that my experiences are that it's apiece of "sh..." and that so
called ICOM agents at Wolverhampton couldn't adjust it to suit my installation
nor would they fly in the a/c to try to adjust it more suitably in working
conditions and could only bench set it to
the written instructions with a shrug of the shoulders as to the likely cause of
the problem."

Now Robert,
            You say that you don't believe in reacting to hearsay, but then give
us your experiences...........? What are we to consider your experiences? Aren't
they hearsay for us?
The handheld is an aviation form of a very popular amateur
radio/marine/.emergency
portable which is tested and run by numerous agencies around the world, so by
what
criteria does CAA on the island measure its failure?
            Has it been proven not to be the antenna, transmission cable, local
interference, or power swamping, or does CAA just not like some of the
correspondence?
That is, who and what are being tested?
            Each radio distributor in every parish has an opinion about his/her
agent - and those awarded an agency are not always the best qualified, but
simply
the contract attainees. The radio untis don't know which parish they fall
into. Radio (just like flying) incurs the greatest difficulty from political
borders, not science. Admittedly, the three major Nippon makers, Yaesu, ICOM and
Kenwood (AKA Trio) all produce the majority of handheld units around the world
- by that I mean for two million users in ham radio alone - and very few are
awarded the "piece of S....." medal on the basis of unemotional testing.
            Perhaps we should hear from a majority first?
Cheers, ferg