RE: Europa-List: Sticky pre-skinned surfaces

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Sticky pre-skinned surfaces
From: Jeremy Davey <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 07:13:01

John,

All my Stage 1 components have this to one extent or other. Indeed, at the
time we went into it in great depth with the factory and SP Systems (who
make the resin). Apparently it is a result of contaminants emerging from the
resin and reacting with water out of the atmosphere (which is exacerbated by
slow hardener being used and tallies with your weather report) and will need
to be cleaned up prior to finishing. It is not of structural significance.

Having said it is not structurally significant, it is worth taking
precautions for the sake of your health when handling these (and all)
layups. I generally wear latex gloves when handling cured layups, or wash my
hands promptly afterwards. I do not want to acquire an allergy for the sake
of a few hundred disposable gloves and a little care.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey

Europa XS Monowheel 537M G-EZZA