Re: Europa-List: Fuel Outlet Rubber Hose Replacement

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Outlet Rubber Hose Replacement
From: Roland Robinson@tiscali.co.uk <roland.robinson@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:49:18

I had a recent bad experience with a Europa just after take-off that I
eventually traced to what I believe is an original fuel line supplied by the
factory.  I had completed the annual inspection, which obviously included
removing and cleaning the fuel filters, I flight tested the plane (at full
all up weight) and flew for a couple more hours with no problems, then I set
out for some circuits (I am low hours on type) - first circuit no problem,
second circuit just after take-off engine started to run rough, it felt
almost as if it were on two cylinders. I closed the throttle and looked at
getting it back on the runway (I operate from Kemble that has a V long
runway) but was too late.  I was picking my field when my friend flying with
me suggested trying the throttle again I did and the engine responded - for
a while and then ran rough again. We repeated this for a few times and
gained enough height to make the cross runway.  When we finally got the Pan
call in the engine of course ran fine on reduced throttle.  On landing and
carrying out some power checks the only discrepancy we could find was a
approx 200rpm loss in max revs.

Many checks followed dirt in the tank, float bowls, drained tanks, boroscope
in tank, check filters again!!- nothing. However when replacing the filters
we noticed that there was a short split in the fuel line. In its dark and
dingy corner under the seat this was not easy to spot.  The lines were
replaced, fuel pressure gauges added and we gingerly went for a test flight.
The problem has not recurred.

Why did the problem not occur immediately - here is my theory. I started the
test and subsequent flights with full tanks. As the fuel level dropped the
suction head on the pump reduced and the pump eventually drew air from the
split in the pipe. (I have since run with less fuel than I normally would to
test that this would not happen again).  The engine recovered as the
throttle was closed as the fuel demand reduced the pump demand reduced.

Any other theories out there??

Roly Robinson G-CHAV (Now at Gloucester)