Re: Europa-List: Post Cure time?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Post Cure time?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:21:30

Jeremy Davey wrote:

> Rule 1: if you heat an initially cured laminate to x degrees and then let it
> cool, in future it will remain hard until heated to approximately x+5
> degrees, at which point it will go soft.

I don't think you can have a simple rule, nor is 5-degrees realistic in
any case.  The difference between cure temp and glass transition temp
varies all over the place by product, and increases over X number of
days.  For Aeropoxy at only 77F cure, it's plus 119F degrees.  As I
hinted in another post, for SP Systems it's at least plus 70F degrees
the next day.  With moderate-temp postcure, it's still about plus 50;
thence even less if postcured hot enough to worry about the blue foam!

IOW look at the spec sheets for whatever resin you're using.  There is
also a difference between heat deflection temp and glass transition
temp.  Former I think is where the test piece begins to bend, by some
testing method I can't find.  Latter is higher and where the
cross-linked molecules begin to unlink. It is determined on fancy
thermal equipment, as a small but rapid temperature spike occurs when
they unlink, the exotherm effect I guess.

Best,
Fred F.