Re: Europa-List: Blue Mountain EFIS vs. Grand Rapids Technology Horizon

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Blue Mountain EFIS vs. Grand Rapids Technology Horizon
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:48:37

Just returned from Sun-N-Fun where I was able to chat at length with
representatives from Blue Mountain and Grand Rapids Technologies. Looking
closely at both I saw some obvious pro's and con's.

Blue Mountain:

Pro - Nice big screen, unbelievable list of functions including all engine
instrumentation, flight instruments, virtual VOR, and built in moving map
GPS.

Con - Large box for processor, seemed "cobbled together" from off the shelf
components to my engineering eyes. Size might be hard to hide in a Europa
panel. Normal sub "D" style multi-pin connectors used for component inputs.
Usually these type connectors are not RF shielded and it seems to me this
could cause problems. The representative, although obviously very
knowledgeable about the product, ducked 2 specific questions I posed in
regard to RF shielding of the box and connectors. I thought this unit was
very pricey. The quote given was $12,500 following by a chuckling "but it's
going up to $14,500 next month because we can". The more I thought about it
the more this comment totally turned me off to the company.

Grand Rapids Technologies -

Pro - Very nice, colorful display, although about 40% the size of Blue
Mountain. Does virtually everything the Blue Mountain does for about half the
money (roughly $7300 with engine monitoring and fuel flow was quoted) Small
sized, easily will fit in a Europa panel. Staff was very knowledgeable and
answered technical questions very specifically. Uses USB port recorder "key"
for engine and flight data dump.

Con - Does not include GPS, but it interfaces to most common hand held units.
Separate module needed for graphical engine display. Won't be available until
October.

Anybody else have any comments?

Regards,

John Lawton