Re: Europa-List: Aircraft to get PPL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aircraft to get PPL
From: John & Amy Eckel <eckel1@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:31:13

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trems" <Tremsx2@lvcm.com>
Subject: Europa-List: Aircraft to get PPL

> Hi all'
>
> Well I have been going around and talking with the different companies
that train pilots here in Las Vegas.  One of them I really like and they
said if I really want to get trained in a low wing aircraft then I may want
to wait about one month.  They will be getting a new aircraft in it's a
CH-2000 http://www.newplane.com/amd/ch2000.html this aircraft would of
course cost more to get trained in.  I did talk with one instructor and he
said that it really is not that big of a deal going from a high wing to a
low wing aircraft.  I wanted to see what ya'll thought about this.  Any info
on this would be a very big help.

> Thanks for any input
> Allan

Hi Allan,
I have taught quite a few people to fly and my experience is the Cessna
150/152 is an excellent
plane to learn in.  It is an honest airplane that is easy to fly, but
requires the pilot to actually
fly the airplane.  By this I mean it does require correct control inputs to
fly in a way that will
not drive your instructor crazy.  As an example:  the plane does have
adverse yaw when using
the ailerons that must be counteracted with proper rudder coordination.
This will teach you
proper use on the controls.
The flaps are very powerful and actually do something.
The plane can by put into a spin.  While this is not a required maneuver,  I
think they should be
taught and I did teach my students.  This is based on a personal experience.
Right after I got
my PPL I was practicing power on stalls and not using enough rudder input.
When the plane
stalled in went into a spin.  Because I had been there before I knew what to
do, my instructor
also believed in spin training.  (I have probably opened a can of worms here
that will cause
much debate.)
The instructor you spoke with is correct, it is not a big deal to go from
high wing to low.
One advantage of the high wing during training is that you will be doing
ground reference
maneuvers and the reference is a lot easier to see if you don't have a wing
in the way.
Your instructor is very important.  Try to find one that is doing it for the
enjoymnent and not
to just build time.  If you don't like your instructor, change to another
one. This is a big investment
in time and money.
Good luck and enjoy, there is nothing like being in the air!
John
A230