Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 20 Msgs - 03/24/03

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 20 Msgs - 03/24/03
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:24:52

>.  If rudder is applied fairly decisively (consistent
>with the strength of the cross wind) at this time, there is a period of a
>few seconds while the aircraft is skidding before it starts to drift again.
>It is during this time that one wishes to put the main wheel/s on the ground
>but as you have rightly pointed out, this might not and does not always
>happen.

Kingsley Hurst
Kingsley, IMHO you are right. The only thing I would add is that with the
Eruopa, drag in this situation, skidding and trading velocity energy for
potential energy, (flaring to fly level without power) so long as speed is
only just above the stall, 45kts or so, the plane will sit down on the
ground and stay there. The key to this is to aim to touch down tailwheel
first, (but only just).  Stick can then be pulled back on the stop if it
isn't already. The airplane won't pitch up, it can't because the tail can't
go any lower.
Speed should be no more than 50 kts at the flare. Any more and you must
keep flying and floating until it stalls out. Then it will drift of course.
Graham

---