Re: Europa-List: Wires through the firewall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wires through the firewall
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:46:53

>Anyone got any clever ideas for supporting & protecting wiring where it
passes through the firewall?  I have bought a couple of nylon cable glands
which would work well but I am having second thoughts about using them due
to the fact that they are not 'fireproof'<

I would recommend plug/sockets. Although it is another junction it makes
engine or panel removal much easier. Digikey in the USA do a good selection
including the popular AMP connectors.
Basically you choose between expensive and heavy (but fireproof) metal units
or the cheaper lighter plastic ones. I opted for the latter. One tip that
might be helpful. If you use two connectors for low power connections, one
connecting to engine mounted items and the other connected to airframe items
it makes subsequent engine removal much easier as the engine harness can be
removed with the engine. For main power to the panel I used a 3 pin high
power connector. A well as main power and earth it provides the opportunity
to use a separate alternative fuse for essential services should the main
panel fuse fail.

Nigel Charles