Re: Europa-List: Europa Club Outrigger Mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Club Outrigger Mod
From: Nigel Charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:16:21

----- Original Message -----
From: "craig ellison" <craig.ellison2@verizon.net>

<craig.ellison2@verizon.net>

> Nigel,
>
> For those of us that aren't Europa Club Members yet could we know some
more
> about the outrigger mod or do you have to be a member to find out that
info?

> craig

This mod overcomes two main problems with the outrigger pivot.

Firstly in its present form it is only a matter of time before wear makes it
sloppy (particularly if you fly from grass strips a lot). The factory
introduced a mod by providing replaceable inserts in the pivot support
plates. I know some owners who are already on their second set of these.
Also this does nothing to address the wear of the outrigger head which is an
aluminium casting. The club mod provides a pair of concentric tubes and a
grease nipple which enables regular greasing preventing wear.

Secondly it is possible to tighten the castellation nut too much which
results in the outrigger failing to lower fully. This can happen even after
having tested the retraction on the ground (aircraft supported of course).
This is because the air loading inflight adds to the resistance on lowering.
Sometimes during the flight testing of my Europa we found that one outrigger
only finally latched down when the speed was reduced on final approach.
Loosening the castellation nut by one flat cured this. As it happens I have
microswitches on my outriggers to give indications when
the gear is fully down ie. I look for 3 greens like any normal retractable
landing gear. The club mod replaces the castellation nut with a stiff nut
which can be tightened fully without clamping the outrigger.

Regards

Nigel Charles