Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 22 Msgs - 02/06/03

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 22 Msgs - 02/06/03
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:42:41

Mini U2 test pilots
Dave
It sounds as though either your trim is not correct or the CG is too far
forward. I would stick with holding the tail down and let it go forward
smoothly exactly as Joim Nelson and Dave Watts say. Judge it by feel. If
stick force is high trim might be too far forward, but CG might affect
that. I would persuade Andy Draper to coach you on that , maybe John Hurst
too, I would guess John has more U2 experience than any of us.

One thing I found, all aircraft are different in some respects, even
airplanes of the same type. Our Classic short wing had too different trim
positions, one for landing and one for take off, I approached at 60 kts,
(55 if dead calm. Gives a steeper approach) if full power was selected we
had to trim forward a lot or the airplane got below the glide stall speed,
if the engine quits in that flight condition you have real trouble. Other
Classics had no trim change with power change.

One other thing, as Jim? remarked as you flare the nose tends to drop due
to the ground effect of the wing altering airflow direction over the tail
(less with tri gear, not as close to the ground) effectively a nose down
pitch trim change. You must keep the stick firmly in your belly once the
tailwheel is on the ground.

Take it very carefully, change one thing at a time and wish I was in your
situation right now! {{:-)
Graham

---