Master switch

Subject: Master switch
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:24:35
With my experience of rally car building, a "big red switch" as used for
external and internal safety cut out was always the preferred route for
G-OWWW battery control. The switch is turned through 90 degrees and in the
off position can be removed.

We have it mounted in a recess in the top of our classic centre console.
This recess also contains the fuel changeover tap and the CB for the trim.
It is covered by a hinged armrest.

The panel has a row of toggle switches - identical (placarded) in a logical
order, from left to right.

Battery
Alternator
Mag 1
Mag 2
Fuel Pump
Start (spring loaded)
Avionics Master
Strobes
Landing light

Each has its related fuse or CB above it.

So the procedure is to start at the left hand end and work towards the
right. Turning off works the other way.

The "big red switch" is our security, the doors are lockable but there are
no other keys. Simplicity was the plan. The wiring was still quite hard
work, but I am willing to quote if anyone else likes what I have done.

Photos available (for direct email) if anyone is interested.

PS, for youngsters the term "Big Red Switch" was specifically applied to the
On-Off switch on the first IBM PCs, XTs and ATs. It was on the right-hand
side almost at the back.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, being built.
"Final" PFA Inspection tomorrow (13th January)