Re: Chafing on road trailer ?

Subject: Re: Chafing on road trailer ?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:09:07
Carpet is by far the best for the wing cradles. Cut them out so that they
are much wider at the bottom than at the top (eg in a triangular shape) so
as to spread the load on the leading edges.

One point worth mentioning is that the tops of the metal support pillars
(that the cradle material is bolted on to - sort of forms a T at the tops).
These need to be paralell and not applying any pressure to the wing
surfaces. I wondered about adding extra padding here to spread the load.
Unfortunately bending the supporting arms outwards to relieve the pressure
results in the wings jumping around when trailering which is potentially
just as bad.

One answer would be to attach a protective cover to the leading edges where
the slings touch. A sort of stocking that clips onto the aileron closeout
lips and is held tight against the wing surface (if that makes any sense).

Unfortunately my supports were not paralell and despite using thick
carpeting ended up with a dent in the top of my port wing where the glass
skin has been crushed - not good !!!