Re: Top Gloss

Subject: Re: Top Gloss
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:02:12
Tony,
For one that is struggling with my build I can only say "bugger" on your
behalf, and thanks for the advice. I will get there in end and I appreciate
knowing about the worst pitfalls before I fall into them. I create enough of my
own over time to have to recover from others. Sounds like you will ultimately
be flying your own in  a year or so. good stuff.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Wings nearly complete with ailerons and flaps on, root closeouts and tips to
go, then the fuse which I am really looking forward to.

From: "Tony S. Krzyzewski" <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
>Subject:  Top Gloss
>

>> For those that are considering Top Gloss, I have just moved from.. be
>> careful .. to .. avoid the product at all costs..
>>
>> After six months of battling with Top Gloss I discovered a surface
>> separation just at the back of the fin. I peeled this back and within
>> ten minutes there was no surface paint left on my fuselage. The entire
>> coating came off in large sheets with very little effort leaving me with
>> a fuselage in Smooth Prime primer.
>>
>> Having now made the decision to have the plane commercially painted I
>> repeated the process on my flying surfaces. By the end of the afternoon
>> I had peeled off the paint from both stabilators, one flap and one
>> aileron .. all with little more than my fingernails and the edge of a
>> knife.
>>
>> Once I have done all of the surfaces I am going to pack up all the mess
>> and post it to Polyfiber and tell them what I think of the product!
>>
>> All told I probably wasted 250 hours of work using Top Gloss.
>>
>> Tony

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236