Chromates in continental NW Europe?

Subject: Chromates in continental NW Europe?
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:17:52
Jan,
                This does not refer strictly to initial anti-corrosion, but
to ongoing treatment. As a ham, I've been proud owner of a hot zinc steel
triangular, crank-up, tilt-over tower since 1965. It has been out in the
elements from -30 to +40deg C ever since, and has begun to reveal its scars
and sores. I began treating it at the first sign of rust (usually where the
zinc coat has been bashed or scratched) since about 1970.
The treatment was brushing "David's ZINC 182 anti-rust primer - from the
makers of ISOPON". 3 quid per 250 ml. Open rusted parts treated in 1971 have
not needed another coat since and all treated bits still show the pleasant
Grey face when done.
            I was so satisfied with the tower I expanded my treatment to
garden furniture and the cars over the years. Inspite of salted roads all
winter and garden stuff left out, none shows any deterioration whatever,
even when thinned to 1/2 by acetone during the "slim" years.
Both the '91 Volvo and the '89 Honda Civic as as new.
            More expensive is Fosroc "Galvafroid" which I keep as a backup
but it's never been needed - also rarely stocked.
            Both are fairly thick and heavy in character but most
effective - not as original treatment to which you addressed your email -
but as later corrective tasks, such as small chips and scratches, or worn
plating. I am aware it's not what you seek (hope you get a useful answer)
but a hint for down the road.
Happy Landings
Ferg
A064