Re: fuel tank

Subject: Re: fuel tank
From: Nick Hammond <Nick.Hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:19:28
Richard,

I had a similar problem -- the tank is pretty irregular and I had to remove a
fairly
large bulge by the application of heat and pressure for a few dayys. The
tank is actually positioned slightly "below" (i.e. in the sense of the completed
aircraft) the seat back top and the gap isn't necessarily going to be parallel.
Once I had it roughly positioned, I used wooden spacers (about 5mm by 25mm
cross section) to set the gap between the seat-back and the cargo bay bulkhead
to the correct dimension (323 mm sounds about right) and then laid up a uni
strap over plstic tape on each spacer to keep the whole thing rigid while doing
the tank layups and other fuse module work. I removed the wooden spacers when
finally installing the module in the fuselage.

The important thing is to make sure you have room for the wing spars when the
tank
is finally positioned -- as a few builders have discovered, having it too
low in the aircraft can spoil your whole day.

Best regards,

Nick