Instruments

Subject: Instruments
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:15:46
Message text written by INTERNET:riddon@btinternet.com
>I know this is a big subject but any opinions on where is the best place
buy instruments & avionics in the UK? <

I bought my instruments about 3 years ago so this info might be a little
dated. In terms of knowledge and customer backup RD Aviation (now AFE)
provided the  best service. When the club was running seminars they gave
very helpful talks on how to design and build your own panel. If this was
all too daunting they would provide a build and fitting service. Brien
Nelson (who works with RD, tel 01865 377106) has built and fitted many
Europa panels and has a wealth of envaluable experience.The only other
avionics company to attend  these seminars was only interested in using it
to sell there products. If low prices and prompt mail order was required  I
would recommend Harry Mendelssohn.

>I understand that they are much cheaper in the US. <

Generally this is correct but I found it cheaper to buy my Garmin
transponder and Skyforce Colourmap in the UK.

> Anyone taken the trouble to import or is the price advantage then negated
with taxes etc?  The
alternative I suppose is to take a budget trip across the pond and bring
some back but I guess this would be smuggling.<

If you intend importing from the USA you can limit the duty to just the VAT
by getting an Enduser certificate from your local Customs and Excise
Office. This saves about 4%. This can be used whether you get the items
mailed or collect them yourself. There is a lot to be said in timing a
visit to the USA to tie in with either Sun 'n' Fun or Oshkosh. That way you
can buy everything at once with no postage costs. To avoid disappointment
it may be worth reserving products from retailers for collection in
advance. Remember that European users will require the European versions of
items like GPS's to ensure the correct database is installed.

Nigel Charles